If you're not able to meet your nutritional requirements through your diet alone, then supplements can be effective way to do that.
Not all supplements are the same. Some may be more effective than others, and you can’t always trust what you read on a label or hear from your doctor.
Some brands contain harmful ingredients that can do more damage than good to your health.
You need to choose a reputable brand that has undergone extensive testing, which has been done by a third party lab and is sourced using high-quality ingredients. To ensure that you're getting a supplement that's pure and potent and that you can use efficiently.
Here are the 17 top vitamin brands to help meet our nutritional needs.
A quick look at the top vitamin brands
- Best overall vitamin brands: Thorne Research, Pure Encapsulations, NOW
- Best multivitamin brand: New Chapter
- Best vitamin brand for kids: Smarty Pants, Klare Labs
- Best prenatal vitamin brand: Mega Foods, Innate
- Best personalized vitamin brands: Persona
- Best vegan vitamins brand: Garden of Life
- Best collagen supplement brand: Vital Proteins
- Best omega-3 vitamins brand: Nordic Naturals
- Best hair, nails, and skin vitamins brand: OLLY, Solgar
- Best probiotic supplements brand: Bio-Kult, Culturelle
- Best vitamins brand for athletes: Klean Athlete
How we chose the best vitamin brands
- We looked for brands that have been tested by an independent lab to verify their safety, potency, and quality. Examples of third-parties organizations to look for include the National Science Foundation, ConsumerLab, and USP.
- Certification. We also looked for brands offering non GMO verified or certified gluten- free or vegan products.
- We selected brands that prioritize using high-quality ingredients and absorbable forms. These brands also avoid artificial flavors, fillers, or preservatives.
- While the brands included vary in cost, they all offer supplements that provide a fair value for money.
- We've vetted all brands on our list. They're medically credible and they've got good business practices.
How to choose the right vitamin brand for you
- Your personal needs. Consider your health goals to find an appropriate brand. Some brands offer products specifically for athletes, whereas others focus on meeting the specific needs of children, teens or pregnant people.
- Look for brands with products and services that are third-party verified, which ensures their safety, strength, and quality.
- Dietary restrictions or food allergens. Many products are certified vegan, wheat-free, or kosher which may be a key factor for some.
- Price. Some companies offer products at lower prices than others, so be careful when choosing one.
Finally, note that there are personalized product recommendations or convenient subscription options available from certain brands.
Best overall vitamins
- Thorne Research offers a wide variety of supplements and adheres strictly to manufacturing standards to ensure quality products.
- There are different types of vitamins available: multivitamins, probiotic supplements, omega-3 supplements, prenatal vitamins, single nutrient supplements, and sports supplements.
Thorne Research is an organic supplement company that uses high-quality ingredients without any contaminants, fillers, or heavy metals.
All products are manufactured at facilities that are certified by NSF International and the TGA, which is the regulatory body responsible for assessing the safety and quality of supplements.
Thorne offers a range of products, including protein powder, multivitamins, probiotics and fish oils. The company also offers supplements designed to support healthy aging, bone and joint health and immune function.
Many supplements are also vegan and gluten-free, but this may vary depending on which one you choose.
- We chose them because they're free from gluten, fillers, additives, and third party testing ensures quality.
- There are various types of vitamins available: multivitamins, probiotic supplements, omega 3 supplements, prenatal vitamins, single nutrient supplements, and sports
Pure Encapsulations provides safe, sustainably sourced nutritional supplements for a wide range of health concerns.
All our products are free from unnecessary fillers and additives and contain no GMOs, gluten, or any other common allergens.
Each supplement is tested by an independent third party to ensure its safety.
Pure Encapsulations offers a wide variety of nutritional products for your body’s overall well-being.
Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate was one of best supplements for anxiety.
- NOW also manufactures its products in a third-party certiﬁed facility.
- There are different types of vitamins available: multivitamins, probiotic supplements, omega-3 supplements, prenatal vitamins, single nutrient supplements, and sport supplements
Now Foods is a family-owned business that produces natural supplements without GMOs and artificial ingredients.
Each product is thoroughly examined for purity and the presence or absence of heavy metals, pesticides and other contaminants.
Now supplements are also certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL), which ensures that facilities meet good manufacturing practices.
There are a wide variety of products available from the company, including multi-vitamins, sports supplements and more.
NOW Foods now offers a variety of single-nutrient supplements, including its NOW Foods chewables Vitamin D3 5000 IU, which was chosen as one of the best vitamin D supplements.
You can also filter for supplements to find options that contain no animal products, are vegetarian, are organic, or don't contain gluten.
- If you’d like a clean, sustainable, wholesome vitamin, New Chapter is an excellent brand for you.
- One of the leading advocates of non-GMO foods, New Chapter is committed use ingredients sourced from whole fruits, vegetables, nuts, and herbs.
- All New Chapter multis are fermented or made using an exclusive process that improves the absorption and adds beneficial probiotics.
To ensure that you're getting the best product possible we test each supplement thoroughly to ensure that it contains no harmful ingredients, is free from additives, and has been formulated by experts.
The company is also certified by B Lab, which means that they support their employees, their community, and the environment. They use regenerative agriculture and also recycle, reuse, or compost more than 80 percent of their waste.
Best vitamins for kids
One of the best vitamin brands for kids is Smarty Pants. This is because it is designed specifically for kids. It helps them develop healthy bones and teeth, so they grow up strong.
- It also helps with the development of the brain.
- It is enriched with calcium and magnesium, two minerals that help build strong bones and teeth.
- It also includes vitamin C, which boosts immunity.
This is why this vitamin is considered one of the best vitamin brands of kids.
- Klaire Labs has a wide range of clean pharmaceutical-grade products that are known for their high quality and potency.
- Founded by Claire Farrel in 1969, the supplement company is a model for premium professional grade supplements, including vitamins.
Klaire Labs' products are free of common allergies and contain no artificial colors or flavors. Each supplement comes in its most bioavailable form. For example, their Biotin supplement is 100% d-Biotin, the naturally occurring, most biologically active form.
Furthermore, they offer a folate supplement called Metafolin, which is the preferred choice for folate that is most easily absorbed by people with and those who don't have common genetic mutations that prevent folate absorption.
Best prenatal vitamins
- Megafood is a reputable brand because they're committed to transparency.
- Consumers can visit Megafood’s website at any time and see product production live.
- The products also meet the highest standards for ecological and social sustainability, quality, purity, and safety.
These certifications include things like Certified B Corporation, Non-GMO verified, glyphosate residue free, gluten-free, vegan, etc.
Megafood is truly “fresh from farm-to-tablet.” Its proprietary FoodState Nutrients combine with added vitamins, mineral, and binders to form highly effective, whole-fruit and vegetable supplements.
To ensure all products meet our high standards, we test all of our products for over 125 herbicide and pesticide residues.
- Innate Response Formulas is one of the first multi-vitamins to guarantee that its supplements are glyphosate residue- free.
- Glyphosate, which is used in the herbicide Roundup, has been making news lately for its negative impact on human health.
Each batch of incoming ingredients is also tested for over 125 different pesticide and herbicide residues. Men and women of all ages can rest easy knowing that they're covered with this supplement.
Best personalized vitamin
- Why we chose it : Persona Nutrition offers supplements formulated to help address a variety of health issues and includes free consultations for personalized advice.
- There are several types of vitamins available: multivitamins, probiotic supplements, omega-3 supplements, prenatal vitamins, single nutrient supplements, and sport supplements
Persona uses a 5-minute nutrition analysis to create a custom daily supplement regimen just for you.
We source our products from suppliers we trust and thoroughly test them to ensure they're pure and strong so you get the best quality products possible.
Persona offers a wide range of products that you can sort by specific health issues, including digestion, bone strength, weight loss, sleep and immunity.
You could opt for one of their multivitamins, like the Persona Foundational Multivitamin, which contains a mix of important nutrients like zinc, vitamin C, and b vitamins.
Each product includes detailed info on the ingredients it contains and any potential allergens, plus the research that backs its claims.
Subscribers also get free, unlimited consultations with our nutritionists for personalized health tips.
Best vegan vitamin
- Garden of Life has an extensive selection of vegan products, many of which are organic and gluten-free too.
- There are different types of vitamins available: multivitamins, probiotic, omega-3s (fish oil), prenatal, single nutrients, sports
Garden of Life is an organic supplement manufacturer focused on quality and transparency.
Many of their products undergo third-party tests and are certified organic, vegan, gluten-free, and kosher.
Some are also certified by NSF International or Informed Choice, which are testing organizations that test products for banned substances.
With a wide variety of products to choose from at Garden of Life, you’ll be able to find everything you need for your health and wellness needs.
For example, the Garden of Life Vegan Biotin supplement contains a blend of other nutrients, minerals, and botanical ingredients to support collagen synthesis.
You can also filter your product choices by health concern or dietary restriction, based on your needs.
Best collagen supplement
- We chose Vital Proteins because they specialize in making high quality collagen products, which are all tested and available in a number of different forms.
- There are different types of vitamins available: multivitamins, collagen powder, drinks, capsules, gummies, etc.
Viva Labs is a popular brand known primarily for its collagen supplements, which are sold in a variety of forms, including vanilla, match tea, and dark chocolate black berry.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, and plays a key role in keeping us healthy.(2 )
Collagen supplements could help improve skin hydration and elasticities.(3).
Their most popular product, Vital Proteins Beauty Collage, contains a blend of collage, probiotics, and hyaluronic acid (HA) to promote the health of your hair, skin, and nail.
Most Vital Proteins products contain no GMOs, fillers, or artificial ingredients.
Their website claims that they use independent labs to test their supplements for contaminants and heavy metal contamination.
Best omega-3 vitamin
- We chose Nordic Naturals because they're dedicated to quality and transparency They also provide a COA (Certificate of Analysis) for each product.
- There are different types of vitamins available: omega-3s, probiotic supplements, multi-vitamins
The company's omega-3 supplements are among the highest quality available.
Their Nordic Naturals Ultimate omega is featured as best overall fish oil supplement.
Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to a long-list of health benefits and can help promote healthier aging. (4).
They may also help prevent inflammation, which can be particularly helpful for those with autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis (RA).(5)
Nordic Naturals offers supplements for athletes, children, teenagers, pregnant people, and pets.
All Nordic Natural products are non-GMA and undergo third-party tests for safety. You can get a COA for all supplements from the company’s site.
Best hair, nails, and skin vitamins
- Solgar has been producing nutritional supplements for over 70 years. As a trusted source of vitamins that are free of harmful ingredients and common allergens, we recommend
- Unlike some large vitamin manufacturers, Solgar makes its products in small batches in the United States.
- We strive to create products that are non-GMO, vegan (vegetarian), gluten- and dairy- free, kosher, and halal.
The amber glass bottles are recyclable and usually contain more than one month's worth of your favorite vitamins. Solgar offers a wide variety of vitamins, including vitamin C, a B-Complex, and even a more specialized multivitamins.
- OLLY supplements are free from artificial ingredients and produced in factories that are regularly audited.
- There are different types of vitamins available: multivitamins, probiotic, omega-3s (fish oil), prenatal, single nutrients, sports
OLLY is committed to promoting health with safe, natural supplements made without any GMOs or artificial ingredients.
The company offers many products for promoting hair, nail, and skin health, including ingredients like collagen, hyaluronic acid, and biotin.
For example, Olly Undeniable Beauty contains vitamins C, E, and Keratin which are among the best vitamins for hair, nails, skin.
You can also buy other products, including multivitamins, omega-3s, probiotics and herbal supplements.
You can get a COA for each product from Olly. Furthermore, supplements are produced in FDA-approved facilities.
Best probiotic supplements
- Bio-Kult offers vegetarian friendly probiotics that are tested independently by a third party and made without common allergents, like gluten, nuts and eggs.
- Bio-Kult produces high quality probiotic supplements.
Probiotics are types of bacteria that have been linked to numerous health benefits, including improved immunity, enhanced digestion, and lowered cholesterol levels. (6)
Each strain has its own unique set of benefits. Some are also formulated to support other aspects of your health, such as garlic or grapefruit extract. For example, BioKult Mind is designed for brain function and gut health by combining probiotics, zinc, grape and blueberry extracts, and more.
All Bio-Kult products are shelf-stable, non GMO, and made without gluten nuts or eggs. They are also gluten free and vegan-friendly. Bio-Kult adheres to strict manufacturing guidelines, and products are tested to ensure purity and potency.
- Culturelle offers a variety of probiotic products, all of which are manufactured in a facility certified by the NSF International.
- There are two types of vitamin supplements: probiotic supplements and multivitamin supplements.
As one of the world’s leading probiotics brands, Culturelle is trusted by consumers and healthcare providers alike. The brand offers probiotic supplements for children, infants, adults, and pregnant women.
Culturelle is one of their best-selling products, which contains 10 billion CFUs per serving.Culturelle products undergo rigorous testing before they're packaged. Many culturelle supplements are also safe for people with food allergies.
Best vitamin for athletes
- All Klean Athlete products were independently tested and NSF certified for sport, making them a great choice for competitive athletes.
- There are different types of vitamins available: multivitamins, probiotic supplements, single nutrients, omega 3 supplements, and sports supplements
Klean Athlete supplements were created by athletes for athletes.
The company manufactures a wide variety of products, including vitamins, probiotics, and Omega-3 fatty acids. It also has a variety of supplements designed to optimize physical performance, including creatine, whey protein, and collagen.
Klean Creatine has been featured as one of HealthLine’s best creatine supplements for 2020. All products are NSFs certified for sport, which means that they have been tested for substances banned for athletes.
Competitive athletes need to be aware of their body fat percentage. Amy Shapiro says that some substances can appear in urine or blood tests, which could prevent athletes from competing in certain sports.
Klean Athlete’s products are also non-gmo and undergo testing in-home and in accredited labs to verify safety.
How to ensure quality
It's important to select a high quality supplement for maximum health benefits.
To start, buy supplements from reputable manufacturers.
Make sure to read the ingredient label too. Avoid supplements that contain high levels of fillers, additives and preservatives.
Some manufacturers also offer a COA, which provides proof that specific quality standards have indeed been met.
Some may also have an official certification or seal of approval by NSF International or Consumer Lab, which are companies that test supplements for quality.
If you have any health conditions or are taking other medications, talk to your doctor before starting a new supplement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you know whether a vitamin is good quality?
To evaluate the quality a vitamin, check the ingredient label and look for products without fillers, additives, or artificial ingredients.
Look for a vitamin that has been tested or certified by a reputable third party and buy from companies that are transparent about how they source and manufacture their products.
Which company makes the best multivitamin?
There are many companies making high quality multi-vitamin supplements, including some of the brands featured above.
Find brands that cater to your specific needs, and choose products that use high quality, well-tested ingredients.
What is the best vitamin brand?
The best overall vitamin brands include Thorne Research, Pure Encapsulations, and NOW.
There are many top-quality vitamins brands available, each of them differing in terms of price, product selection, and whether or not their products are tested by a third party or have any certifications.
Vitamins aren't just for kids anymore! If you want to boost your energy, improve your skin, or simply maintain healthy bones and muscles, take advantage of all the great options out there today.
It can be difficult to determine which vitamin and mineral supplements are worth their prices.
Buying from reputable suppliers and looking for supplements made with high quality ingredients may help ensure that you're receiving the best supplement.