The Benefits of NAC Supplement for Better Immune Function
N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) is a supplement form of cysteine that offers several benefits including antioxidant power and improved respiratory health and immune function.
NAC is a dietary supplement that is most commonly used to treat cystic fibrosis, COPD, and asthma. NAC supplements can also be used to treat acetaminophen overdose. NAC has antioxidant effects that are important in the body. Antioxidants help protect cells from damage and work to keep the body from free radical damage.
NAC has been found to reduce the levels of glutamate in your brain which is a neurotransmitter that triggers anxiety. Reducing the levels of glutamates in your brain can decrease anxiety symptoms and improves cognitive function.
N-acetyl cysteine is a powerful antioxidant that provides anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties. This supplement can help those with allergies and asthma, and those who are exposed to environmental pollutants. N-A-C is a form of the natural amino acid cysteine that is used by the body for glutathione production, one of the body’s most important antioxidants.
How NAC Works and Its Benefits
N-A-C impacts the expression of genes that affect the inflammatory process. In other words, N-A-C is anti-inflammatory and can reverse chronic inflammatory conditions.
1. Cardiovascular System Benefits
- Lowers homocysteine (linked with so many health issues)
- Reduce insulin resistance (stabilizes blood sugar)
2. Immune System Benefits
- Supports lung function (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, sinus infection)
- May support protection against seasonal influenza and chronic bronchitis.
- Improve mental health conditions and substance use disorders - (bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive behavior (OCD).
- Boosts brain health by regulating glutamate and replenishing glutathione - (Anti-aging, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease)
- Improve fertility in both men and women
- Helps with detox to prevent or minimize damage to your kidneys and liver.
- N-acetyl cysteine protects the body from a variety of toxins. This is due to its rich content of sulfur-hydroxyl groups which can bind and deactivate herbicides, toxic heavy metals, prescription drugs (like acetaminophen), environmental pollutants, and mold mycotoxins.
NAC Helps with Sinus Infections and Allergies
This 'super' antioxidant is called glutathione. It's so powerful, it's your frontline defender against environmental irritants. And to boost this antioxidant defense in your body, you can take an NAC supplement.
Here's some evidence that NAC is working on humans and has a good track record of clearing away nasal and respiratory irritants while promoting an immune response. It's also been shown to help drain the "sinus swamp".
What’s even more? Another research study shows NAC can quickly break down and thin out dried, thick mucus by up to 46% within the first few hours. The same study found that NAC reduced the thickness and stickiness of mucous to considerable levels, just 30 minutes after taking it.
The mucus swamp drainage improved in just one hour after taking NAC. That's because it helps unclog drainage, while also promoting a healthy inflammatory response.
NAC destroys the "impervious" invaders that are in your sinuses, thus freeing you from sinus misery. Another way NAC can help you with your congestion issues is by destroying those clumps of respiratory irritants that settle in your nose and throat area, making sinus issues a thing of the past.
Research shows that NAC can break down these clumps of irritants at their early stage by 63%. Even in their fully-formed stage, NAC can reduce them by more than half.
It’s no wonder a German study found that 9 in 10 people with sinus problems have felt as if their sinus problems were gone after they started taking NAC. The people in the study took 600 milligrams of NAC daily.
Your NAC Supplement for a Strong Immune System
Taking NAC supplements can be a good idea for people who want to reduce their risks of developing cancer.
A recent study has shown that taking NAC supplements can reduce the risk of developing cancer. The study showed that those who took NAC supplements had lower levels of DNA damage and oxidative stress. We need to take a NAC supplement because it helps to detoxify the body, which we need because of all the toxins in our environment.